Monday 23 March 2009

How Good is Robert Green?

Well I thought the Tomkins article was relatively uncontroversial, given I concluded he was a future England captain, but some still accused me of being negative and overly critical, so I approach this assessment of Green with a degree of trepidation. I realise that daring to find fault with Green amongst West Ham fans is the equivalent of showing up in Mecca for Hag with a copy of the Satanic Verses for a "holiday read" but I have never been one for allowing Orthodoxy of any form, Greek, Jewish, Muslim, Christian or Claret & Blue Klan to silence me, so here goes!

To begin, Green is a great shot stopper. Along with Friedal, James, Cech, Jaskelinen and Kirkland, he is up there with the very best in the Prem. He is agile, has strong hands and knows his angles, making it very difficult for any shot to get past him. So far so good. But does that mean he is an international quality keeper? Well, there is the rub.

If you can endure it, watch a tape of the Blackburn game through again. See how flustered Greenie looked as those crosses were boomed into our box and how passive he was when faced by the deliberate obstruction by Diouf. Now imagine for a moment Diouf trying that tactic with Van de Saar, Cech, Reina or Almunia. You can bet your life that the Spiteful Spitter would be manhandled the first time he tried it and the keeper would go down in a heap holding his face. Diouf would see yellow immediately and be warned not to repeat. What did Green do? He blinked a few times, looked puzzled and tried to reach round Diouf for the ball like a Tesco shopper trying to get a can of beans without disturbing the shelf stacker. He made a complete hash of one and got away with it, and the referee felt sorry for him and gave a free kick the second time it happened - ignoring the fact that Diouf did not move a muscle and so could not possibly have committed a foul. But Green did nothing to win that free kick, he wasn't protesting, he wasn't demanding protection, he wasn't imposing himself on the officials, his own defenders or El Spitter, he was just blinking and looking confused. The guy is too nice for his own good!

And he is not just too nice when it comes to officials and opponents, Green is also too quiet and understanding when interacting with his own defenders. How often have you seen him rollock anybody? Keepers should be generals of the penalty box, shouting orders to the defenders and giving them what's for if they fail in their defensive duties. The closest Green comes to reprimanding anybody is that arms half open gesture, supported by a slightly quizzical look and three blinks of the eyes. When he does this he looks slightly hurt and confused, like a Labrador ordered from the sofa by a bad tempered owner. I suspect that Schmeichel like rants may sometimes be counter productive if too frequently used but I would like to see Green let go sometimes, berating a colleague for failing to track an opponent. To move to the next level, Green has to be in control of others as well as himself and I never feel that he is. He is reactive, rather than proactive in my book.

Then there is the problem under crosses. I doubt anybody has saved a copy of the West Brom game (why would you?) but if there are any masochists out there, look at that elbow in the face Green collected. It was a foul, no doubt about that, but that isn't the point. The cross was bulk standard, was inside the six yard box but, foul or no, Green was never going to collect it in a million years. He was well under the ball, clutching at thin air, when the elbow connected and endangered his cheek bone whilst saving his blushes. If this was a one off, no problem, all keepers make mistakes and even Cech has dropped a couple of crosses. The trouble is, Green is vulnerable under crosses - his decision making is suspect and it is an identified weakness that Allardyce and Blackburn were deliberately seeking to exploit on Saturday. He has improved his game in this critical area this season - the gaff against Bolton at Upton Park was, I suspect, a wake up call to Clarke and led to Miklosko being told to put in some extra work with Green; but he is still not confident under crosses and still seems to misjudge whether to stick or twist when a ball is played in close to the edge of his six yard box.

"So what?" I hear you ask. "Look at James, he isn't called Calamity for nothing." True, but there is a difference. James has no actual weaknesses in his game save the tendency to make the odd complete, risible howler and you cannot plan your tactics around an unpredictable howler. Green, on the other hand, has an identifiable flaw in his technique and that can be exploited if the tactics are right.

So how good is Green? Very good. The best qualified England keeper? Sadly I think not. Personally I rate James and Kirkland ahead of him and suspect that Foster may overtake him in the pecking order ahead of the World Cup finals. I hope I am wrong and look forward to hearing the opinions of others.

15 comments:

Anonymous said...

Sadly I must agree with you. He is a very good keeper, no question about it. But he was all over the place on Saturday. TV didn't really show it but he flapped at times and done nothing to annoy the players blocking his path. capello is no fool. If he was the best in the land, he would pick him for the national team.

Hammersfan said...

Bless me, I wasn't expecting that. Usually they erect the gibbet when I dare to question Green. Very wise to remain anonymous on this one; the Claret and Blue Hoods are hunting for you even now! Thanks for the contibution!

Anonymous said...

Cricket is the classic example of individual performance within a team framework, but the goalkeeper by virtue of his position as a unigue individual is probably under the spotlight more than any other team sportsman. Green has his weaknesses as you point out very well, but in his defence he has not played behind a settled back four for much of his time with us and yet his record has been good. He is also an intelligent man and I would rather put my trust in a flawed intellectual than an instinctive dimwit. Having said that, I would put him behind James for England although they both share many characteristics.

Hammersfan said...

Yep, agree with that. Is he intelligent? He looks like a right bumpkin sucking on that condom in the tunnel.

Anonymous said...

Despite looking like a worzel, I believe he has rather broader interests than the average footballer. The rest of this post has been edited by the author.

Hammersfan said...

?

Anonymous said...

I started to muse on the intelligence of the average footballer and thought better of it.

Hammersfan said...

LOL The average footballer as a muse! The average footballer thinks a muse is the sound a cow makes!

Anonymous said...

I think Green is about right for us. Yes, he is pretty poor on crosses but plenty of keepers have holes in their games. Almunia is crap on crosses and Reina has more than his share of moments. Who is MUCH better all round than Green? Given, Reina, James, van der Sar, Cech I would say. I would say that Friedal, Kirkland, Jaaskelinen, Schwartzer and Howard are about equal. For me he is FAR better than Robinson, Willie Carson, Duke, Jones, Harper, Sorensen, Fulop & Gomes. A decent keeper for a decent side? Denbighammer.

Hammersfan said...

I forgot Given! Love the Willie Carson nickname! I think he is more than decent Den, good to very good. But an England keeper, only in a time of relative famine for keepers. I hope Foster is the real deal as an England fan. I'm surprised that Kirkland isn't getting a chance myself.

Anonymous said...

No offense but to date every time I have given them the time of day I have become extremely frustrated by your apparent lack of understanding for the game. You previously blamed Tomkins for Tuncay's goal when he did the best he could to stop the player he was marking (Aliadiere)from scoring and his midfield (Kovac if you watch the replays) failed to cover Tuncay's run. With this analysis of Green, perhaps I am mistaken but are you suggesting that when Diouf scored and it was disallowed that it was for a foul on Green. When it was quite clearly in fact for blatant offside, apologies if I'm mistaken as I agree that Green is not commanding enough at times (both vocally and physically). Despite this he is in my opinion the most capable keeper England have after James and prior to Foster reaching his potential. A great player for West Ham and heres hoping to him renewing his contract.

Hammersfan said...

No need to apologise mate but no, I am not talking about either of the Diouf offside goals; I'm talking about how Diouf was positioned to stand in front of Green at set pieces to block his route to the ball. It was blatant obstruction but strictly speaking not against the rules if Green allowed it - which he did. My point is that a more assertive keeper would have done something about it.

Anonymous said...

We like Robert Green. Our Dad says he used to watch his uncle Camberwick

Anonymous said...

I like Green but I believe this Stech guy has all the physical qualities to be a top keeper, he's very well thought of and making waves in the reserves right now.

Hammersfan said...

Jake and Milo, he needs protection from Pugh, Pugh, Barney McGrew, Cuthbert, Dibble and Grub!

Ironside, I hope you are right but wonder why we keep signing keepers on loan if he is that good. Lastpickeva aint any cop based on what I saw of him against Watford.