Wednesday 29 April 2009

Have you ever wanted West Ham to lose?


An odd question to ask on a West Ham blog but I mean it most sincerely folks, have you ever wanted West Ham to lose a game? I came very close earlier in the season when we played Macclesfield in the League Cup. I was amongst a 10,000 weak crowd for the game and witnessed a woeful performance, requiring a late equaliser, a sending off and extra time to overcome a team who had lost every game in the old Fourth Division. It was obvious that the team was playing without inspiration, heart and even hope and it was absolutely clear that Curbishley had to go. A section of the crowd turned on the manager and chanted that he would be out of work in the morning and a humiliating defeat in a relatively meaningless cup (let's face it, even Tottenham can win it!)seemed, for a while, like a resonable trade off - anything to remove the curse of Turds from Upton Park! But then Bowyer equalised, Cole (a replacement for Sears) started to terrorise the hapless minnows and the claret and blue blood started pumping through my veins. Each goal was greeted like a goal scored against Manchester United or Tottenham and I exercised an opt out clause on my provisionally arranged pact with the devil. So, in the end, even a passionate yearning to see Turds replaced was not actually enough to make me want my beloved Hammers to lose.

But there was a game I was keen for us to lose. For this we have to go back to the last game of season 2003-04, away to Wigan. In case you have forgotten, this was the final league game of a truly depressing season. We were bumping along in the Fizzy Pop all season, Roeder had been belatedly sacked, Brooking had inspired hope, only for Pardew to be appointed and to recruit a bunch of players that had no place at West Ham. We used an incredible 36 players that season - and by incredible, I mean the number of players, not the quality! Remember Quinn? And Stockdale? And Connolly? And Mellor? And Harley? And Deane? Remember those depressing draws against Norwich, Burnley and Forest? Remember the 4-1 defeat at Millwall? Remember the surrender at home to the Baggies after Defoe's sending off? Remember the 1-0 defeat at Palace? I remembered that last one keenly, but Brian Deane seemed to have forgotten it when we entered the last ten minutes of the game at Wigan!

The equation was simple. If Wigan won their final game of the season and Palace failed to win, then the Latics were into the play offs. If they failed to win then Palace would replace Wigan. Now Palace were on a fantastic run, transforming from a team struggling against relegation into the favourites to make it into the Premiership should they squeeze into the playoffs. Wigan, meanwhile, were moving in the opposite direction, falling away as the pressure mounted, and our track record against them was good - we had thumped them 4-0 at Upton Park. I knew, absolutely knew, that if Palace made it into the playoffs, then they would win the final. It was obvious, it was written in the stars, there was nothing anybody could do to prevent it - if they qualified! But the solution was simple, blindingly obvious in fact. All Pardew had to do was pick a team of stiffs and smile as we lost, slamming the door in the face of the Eagles if they failed to win.

And it was all going to plan as we ticked into the last minute. Wigan were beating us 1-0 and Palace were losing. A point meant nothing to us - our final league position would not change - but our chances of winning through to the Premiership would be hugely enhanced by denying Palace participation in the playoffs. So what happened? Well in a supreme act of shooting yourself in the foot, Carrick crossed and that useless great lump Brian Deane thumped in a header. 1-1, Wigan out, Palace in, and Destiny would not now be denied! As the goal went in my son cheered, not understanding the implications, but I was swearing and ranting, calling Deane all the obscenities in the book. "Dad", my son said confused, "We've just scored!" My reply was short, "Yes we've scored, the f****** own goal to end all f***** own goals!"

And why am I writing this now? Well earlier this season I struck a £20 bet for Newcastle to be relegated and England to win the World Cup. It pays out £1200. Now, just imagine, last game of the season, the match means nothing to us but if Boro win, they stay up and send Newcastle down. It will hurt but in those circumstances, I might just cheer on Miserableborough. Not for the money, you understand, but because I hate Shearer!

31 comments:

Anonymous said...

So you wanted to lose the only thing your club can ever realistically win??? Go's to show what sort of twats support west ham

Hammersfan said...

You obviously struggle with reading mate. That is not what I said.

Matt Corbett said...

The difference between Spurs and hamsters are that we can win the meaningless cup and you can't. Plus we would never want our team to lose under any circumstances, losers.

Hammersfan said...

LOL I can see it now, Last game of the season, Tottenham playing Man Utd. The result means nothing to Tottenham but a victory for the Cockyfools hands the Premiership to Arsenal. Really? You'd want Tottenham to win in thse circumstances?

Anonymous said...

We go out to win. Where Arsenal would be is of no concern to us, as long as we win who cares. Besides I highly doubt Arsenal will win the premiership in a loooong time.

Anonymous said...

why the feck does this shite keep turning up on spurs' news now feed?It obviously guarantees hits but seriously........

Anonymous said...

every f*ckin' week, with the exception of games against arsescum, when I couldn't give a rat's ass.

Anonymous said...

I was one of over 9,000 fans that we took that day to wigan. As a real fan unlike the plank that writes this garbage I was desperate for us to win or at least draw the game after a 500 mile round trip. No i never want us to lose ever and this proves that you are a prize knob and deserve to be abused by the spuds fans as well as us real hammers fans that actually go to the games.

Anonymous said...

There wasn't anything wrong with Connolly and Deane, they were good hard working players that were experienced and did a credible job in that division. The other players mentioned were shocking but you forgot Andy Melville and his movement in defence that was reminiscent of a one legged donkey. PS Just because this article appears infront of Spuds supporters, they don't need to click on the link and read it, especially when it's clearly about West Ham, morons

Anonymous said...

The thing is when we lost to Palace in that play-off Final we were not ready for the Premiership. Loosing was a blessing in disguise, allowing us to re-build properly and bring in better players, giving ourselves a better chance of getting up and staying up (as we did).

I still feel that if we would have gone up that first season in the Championship we would of came straight back down and either been a West Brom and been a yo-yo club, or even worse a Norwich/Southampton type club.

Anonymous said...

Brian deane was OK in that league he scored a few crucial goals for us. Conolly or trampy as we knew him was pretty good as well in that league. Why would you ever want west ham to lose never

Anonymous said...

up the ammers innit

Anonymous said...

Yes to see the very amusing reaction of their jealous and bitter fans

And so it proved twice in both their Cup Finals as they were beaten 2-0 and 1-0

HAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHHA

CelticHammer said...

Hey, if we are going to mention really bad players that Alas Pardew signed that season does anyone but me remember Seb Carole? He signed on loan from AS Monaco and I think he turned out for us once!

Anonymous said...

More rubbish from this pathetic site.

marleeeen depreciation society said...

i'm a west ham fan but i have to say this. hammersfan, you're a bit of a moron and this is yet another poor article in a long series of poor articles by someone who doesn't seem to know much about anything. you don't represent real west ham fans in any way, shape or form and seem to know nothing about being a fan. i have to wonder if you've ever really been to a game because it doesn't come across that you really have. every time i end up on here from newsnow i cringe with embarrassment knowing fans from other teams and sites read your articles. please do everyone at west ham a favour and stop writing them and keep your opinions to yourself for all our sakes.

apache said...

To the Spuds fans - 1999, last game of the season. Manure had to beat Spuds to win the title and prevent Arsenal winning it... Firstly, I have never seen such a pathetic attempt at winning the game by the Spuds players, they DEFINITELY didn't want Arsenal to win the title.

I am a pretty normal human being and as such, I have friends regardless of the team they support. My Spuds supporting friends definitely wanted to lose that game, and Spuds had absolutely nothing to play for.

I think we beat Villa 5-1 and finished 5th.

My memory isn't awesome, it was the first day of my stag do in Magaluf, 2 of the 8 of us supported Spuds, and believe me, they were ecstatic at Spuds losing.

On one level, I think it is sad that Spuds hate a team so much that they are happy to lose a game to stop Arsenal getting glory.

As a football fan, I perfectly understand it.

I think it's a fairly good article, but that's just my opinion. Go on, abuse away if you wish.

apache said...

To the Spuds fans - 1999, last game of the season. Manure had to beat Spuds to win the title and prevent Arsenal winning it... Firstly, I have never seen such a pathetic attempt at winning the game by the Spuds players, they DEFINITELY didn't want Arsenal to win the title.

I am a pretty normal human being and as such, I have friends regardless of the team they support. My Spuds supporting friends definitely wanted to lose that game, and Spuds had absolutely nothing to play for.

I think we beat Villa 5-1 and finished 5th.

My memory isn't awesome, it was the first day of my stag do in Magaluf, 2 of the 8 of us supported Spuds, and believe me, they were ecstatic at Spuds losing.

On one level, I think it is sad that Spuds hate a team so much that they are happy to lose a game to stop Arsenal getting glory.

As a football fan, I perfectly understand it.

I think it's a fairly good article, but that's just my opinion. Go on, abuse away if you wish.

Anonymous said...

I think i'm going to have to agree with the spuds here.
How could you possibly want your own team to lose in any circumstance?
I mean if it was the "title decider" you're so called talking about, then i'd love that to happen, because we could let our arch rival or whoever won it know who won it for them.

Hammersfan said...

To anonymous 2146, it was a title decider, as the victory of Palace in the final proved! To 1924, hindsight is a wonderful thing. Did you cheer Palace on in the final because you knew we weren't yet ready for the Prem? Credit if you did! To 1920, you must be pretty thick mate. You celebrated allowing Palace into the playoffs! "Brilliant, we ain't getting to the Prem!" I assume you don't have too many qualifications!

To the West Ham critics, your replies are laughable. If you don't like the site, don't follow the link! It clearly says "thegamesgonecrazy", I mean it is a fairly distinctive title! You can say I don't support West Ham until the cows come home but I do. The comment is stupid and that is no way of winning an argument. Why would I write a blog devoted to West ham if I didn't support them? How comes I know so much about the club? Read the Pike article you morons!

To the Tottenham fans, I have no idea why it is appearing on the Tottenham page. That normally only happens when you put Tottenham, Spurs or Total Shite in the title!

Anonymous said...

cock head

Hammersfan said...

2229 what a witty, intelligent response.

Anonymous said...

Re: Cock head

I know, thanks. Just a sample of what I learnt at private school and university.

I wonder if you get all of these insults on your Blackberry, which would explain why you retaliate unjustifiably so quickly.

Hammersfan said...

2237, My retaliation in responding to cock head do you mean? Private school and university eh? No wonder cock head comes to mind! I don't have a Blackberry but the wife came home with a punnet of strawberries from Tesco. The second sentence leaves a lot to be desired grammatically by the way. With a private school and university education, you really should do better!

Anonymous said...

You're pathetic. Do you not take notice of how many haters you have?

Hammersfan said...

Is this the same privately educated anonymous? Detractors would have been a better word mate, or enemies. "Haters" isn't right is it? What did they teach you in this private school apart from how to fag?

Anonymous said...

Answer my question doughnut.

And I know my vocabulary is far more extensive than yours as I actually make a nice living from writing, but, I choose to speak how I feel comfortable. So yep, 'haters' was my choice word. I am a 21 year old urban youth, what do you expect.

WASTEMAN

PS. No point replying to this as I won't be checking this blog again. Thankyouplease ^_^

Anonymous said...

your a tosser mate, newcastle can go down and we can beat boro never wannt ur own team to lose a game. shit fan! fuck urself

Hammersfan said...

Anon above said: "your a tosser mate, newcastle can go down and we can beat boro never wannt ur own team to lose a game. shite fan! Make love to urself

Edited to remove foul language but illiterate spelling left intact to highlight the stupidity of the poster. Mate, you clearly do not understand the article. Of course Newcastle can go down if we beat Boro, but the article looks at a what if scenario. Clearly beyond your limited powers of comprehension.

Anonymous said...

I love this blog. You always seem to be at pains to point out how bad Spurs are and how West Ham are better. Spurs and West Ham are both shit!

You are just going to have to live with the fact that West Ham are just that little bit worse

Hammersfan said...

Glad you are enjoying it. Keep looking in.