Tuesday 28 April 2009

Taking the Di Michele


So Di Michele wants a permanent contract at the end of this season does he? Well there's a surprise! If I was nearing the end of my career and I had the opportunity to play for a club which is tolerant of under performance and pays a tasty wage, I would be "up for the challenge"!

Apparently Mr "You carry on playing whilst I tie up my boot laces" has told the club's official site, "“As I have already said many times I would love to stay at West Ham for a few more years.” A few more years? So he wants us to see him a few years into full retirement as well as through his period of semi retirement does he? Perhaps he has a copy of the Freddie Ljungberg Retirement Plan and fancies a few million pounds to tear up his contract 12 months after it is signed!

It is a shame I didn't see any evidence of him meriting a permanent contract against Chelsea on Saturday. I have seen some players have mares in my time as a West Ham fan but Di Michele's performance on Saturday was "down there" as one of the worst showings I have ever seen by a player wearing the club's badge. Did he find a team mate with a single pass? Did he even come close to having a shot on target? Did he once try to run FORWARD with the ball? How many times, exactly, did he lose possession? It is genuinely the first time that I have rated a player's performance zero out of ten and that was without exaggeration. He was dire for every second he was on the pitch.

I have defended the Italian against what I regarded as unfair criticism at times this season but enough is now enough. I do not deny that the guy is skilful on the ball and has "flair" but where is the end result? Four goals in 22 games, plus 8 as a substitute is a pitiful return for a striker, or for a guy "playing in the hole". And remember, 2 of those goals came in his second appearance for the club! He has now made 12 starts without a goal and we cannot afford to carry somebody that goal shy as a striker.

Zola should be saying, thanks but no thanks. If Di Michele is the answer to the question then it must be a bloody stupid question. Get rid quick I say, and put Tristan on the same plane!

13 comments:

Anonymous said...

I wonder if you're this depressing in real life. Smile a bit champ.

Anonymous said...

Di michale is not a striker but he plays behind the front 2. You can see he has real ability but his career is on the slide so yes get shot in the summer but thanks for the effort as he is a trier.

Hammersfan said...

1554 The article is written with a smile. Witty headline don't you think? The guy is a shot bolt though, don't you agree?

1605 You couldn't play him behind the front 2, he would never offer the defensive cover that Clarke demands. Accept he plays "in the hole" but that would be off a loan striker - and he then needs to contribute goals!

Anonymous said...

Haha I know - I was just joking.

I want to put my faith in him - especially because he really wants to play for the club. Same as with Boa Morte, but with Ashton and Cole injured we need someone to put SOME goals in the back of the net. It's hard to keep faith... To be honest I think Stoke will be make or break for Tristan and Di Michele. Show us what you're made of or we'll have to wave goodbye.

Anonymous said...

Hammersfan and all his boyfriends. There's Salty, Hammersfantillo, Denbigh but who is the other one??

el Martillo said...

Playing off a loan striker Scotty? I thought the shandyman had a short term contract ;)

Hammersfan said...

To Anon1653 - You should be on the stage mate, you are so hilarious! And it would appear that you don't have a job. How do you find the time to post all these sad comments. You do make yourself look pathtic you know. Mind you, in the light of your suppressed homosexuality, I selectedthe picture especially for you. No wonder you keep checking out this post! If you click on the players, their boxers come down! Give it a go! You know you want to!

el Martillo said...

Come on I only made a joke out of your spelling mistake!

Hammersfan said...

LOL Revised before your reply! Who says it wasn't a very clever pun?

el Martillo said...

It strikes me that the forward department is that which is in greatest need of an overall, far too workman like and lacking in inspiration this year.
Sears needs to go out on loan, I don't think Ashton will ever achieve a regular contribution to the team although I would love to be proved wrong; and Tristan is not up to it. Which leaves Cole of whom I am a big fan. So we definately need two new strikers and depending on who they are, I can see a place for di Michele as fourth striker. His technique is good and playing alongside better partners I think he could make a significant contribution.

CelticHammer said...

Personally I like DiMichele. I thought he was excellent against us when we played Palermo in Sicily and picked him out as a player I would have loved to see come to WestHam. We went drinking after the game with some Palermo fans and they raved about the guy. Everywhere he has played the fans have loved the guy, even when he was done for illegal gambling the fans still loved him. It should be pointed out he wasnt betting against his team or influencing results but for placing a bet with an illegal bookmaker.
When he signed I was really looking forward to seeing the guy play for us. He is the kind of guy who plays with a smile on his face and likes to make things happen. I thought that playing behind a guy with the positional awareness of Ashton and the pace of Bellamy he would be able to pull the strings for us. Unfortunately it hasnt happened that way for him. I do think however that people are far to quick to dismiss him and his contribution. I think he has had a hell of a lot to do with Cole's improvement, so many times he has played the ball into the danger area only to see Cole looking at him with bewilderment from about 10yards away. So many times has he made the run in behind expecting Cole to flick a header on only to find himself on his toblers as Cole's header falls harmlessly at the feet of the nearest oposition player / fan / subs bench / cue for the burgers / police man or st johns ambulance man. He has come from playing alongside savvy Italian strikers to being partnered with a guy who looks like the experiment to build the perfect English striker ran out of funding before they had installed the brain.
DiMichele has played his entire career in Italy and the game there is very different to the Premier League, it is slower and more technical for a start and it was always going to be difficult to try and adapt to the English game at the age of 32.
That said he has at times looked very good. Most notably in games where he has played in the 10yards between a flat midfield and the striker. When Noble has played at the point of the diamond he and DiMichele have tended to get in each other way. DiMichele is a link player, its what he does best. Look at his involvement in the goal at Wigan, it was all about him. In fact he has a curcial hand in almost every break away or counter attack goal we score. He has never been all that prolific in his career and has at best averaged a goal every 3 games but has fallen short of that for us. I would like to see the guy as part of a fully fit WestHam squad. I am not sure if we will do as I think Zola will think at 33 DiMichele is a luxury we can do without if we fail to make it into Europe. If we do make it then I think he will he stay as his experience then becomes an asset. I have heard Joe Royale talk about him when watching some games on line and he is a huge admirer of DiMc's and I think Joe is a good judge of a player. If nothing else he has helped keep the ball boys at Upton Park fit collecting his wayward shots!

Hammersfan said...

LOL Very harsh on Cole the Goals there mate!

Hotshot C said...

Celtic - I agree that DDM would play well in the hole and links play with some clever passes and flicks, and should be kept as a squad player (with Ashton, Cole & a new striker or two)... I would use him as an impact player perhaps, but is that a luxury when you need a player to be able to score a healthy yield of goals per season, even as an attacking midfielder....?