Friday 15 May 2009

Cole The Goals To Bite The Toffees


At long, long last, Carton Goals is set to return to the team, bringing with him the blistering scoring ratio of one goal for every three starts in a West Ham shirt. This is exactly what Gianfranco needs given how goal shy we have been since...well pretty much since he has been manager actually. And given Cole's scoring ratio we should be expecting a goal from him before...well before the end of the first game of next season!

And there is the rub. Those who criticised Cole even when he was banging them into the net in consecutive games have been made to look fools, but those who see him as the solution to our anorexia in front of goal are being equally daft. Carlton is a superb Premiership target man in my opinion, always showing for the out ball and linking the play brilliantly, but he is not a goal machine and is never likely to be prolific. To crack the nut of not scoring enough, we need a goalscorer to play alongside him, and midfield players willing and able to chip in with six or seven themselves. This season we have scored 39 goals in 36 Premiership games and that is woeful. But it gets worse! Eight of those goals were scored in the first four games before Zola took over the running of the team. That means that under Zola, we have netted just 31 goals in 32 games - less than a goal a game.

The priority for next season is therefore clear. If we are to progress, we have to score more goals. Some will argue that Beano and Dyer will solve the problem but we surely have to work on the basis that these two will probably spend most of the season lying flat on their backs. Di Michele is clearly not going to give us the goals we need so we MUST buy a striker to play off of Cole or Ashton. I love the idea of taking Vela on loan but I fear that is pie in the sky - Arsenal surely will not give us a gift like that! So the cheque book must come out!

7 comments:

Miss Appropriated said...

First off, I apologise for the non-related comment here but it is the only way I can put my piece forward.

It appears that news travels far and wide in these modern days of the global village.

Here in Australia this Friday afternoon, I happened to be confined to within the grey walls of one of our a major corporations. In a quiet moment I decided to put my feet up for a bit, relax and take in what has been occurring on this blog; well it is Friday innit?

Well; wouldn't you know it? I received a number of messages emblazoned across the screen which said that this site was not acceptable to use as the "content is deemed to be inappropriate for this organisation".

Indignant, I marched down two flights of stairs and headlong into the IT department. I stood in the centre of the floor, hands on hips and in a raised voice demanded to know what it was that caused it to be classified as "inappropriate".

I was ushered into an ante room where I was quietly told that this was so because that, although it is a West Ham site, it is frequented by far too many Tottenham, Chelsea and Liverpool fans who continually display their intransigent, blinkered and otherwise bigoted ideals.

It was then that the sense of it began to wash over me.

Anonymous said...

thats because this blog runs SO MANY tottenham, liverpool stories you numpty!...you been sipping one to many fosters?

Anonymous said...

Well bugger me. How long has this been a west ham blog then?

Anonymous said...

That picture of Carlton is very gay!

Goalless Gert said...

I don't know about "gay" - I think he looks very unhappy.

Maybe he is thinking of his goal scoring prowess?

Anonymous said...

a poor mans darren bent!

Hammersfan said...

MA, as I've said before , West Ham play football. Anything football related is West Ham related. The foul language and abuse my an idiot minority reflect sadly on our society in the UK.