Sunday 3 May 2009

Newcastle Have Given Up!


I admit I haven't seen the game, but I listened to the radio commentary and it sounded truly dire. Listening to Alan Green, Newcastle barely turned up, never mind competed. The difference in class sounded truly frightening.

I have already blogged in a mocking tone and, to be honest, I was surprised by the paucity of responses given it featured on the News Now page for the Barcodes. Had I written a similar article on Tottenham or Liverpool, I would have been inundated with responses, albeit most would consist simply of obscenities and Pikey taunts. Geordies are normally passionate about their football but it is beginning to seem that all the fight has been kicked out of them. The owner has been clever of course, he has given the fans what they wanted by appointing Big Al, so how can they complain? I mean, when the Messiah returns, it signals the Apocalypse doesn't it, so is relegation really a surprise?

Looking in on News Now, there is actually an article entitled "Newcastle Don't Deserve to Survive" and the author hasn't been crucified by his fellow Toons. There is a spooky resignation, an acceptance that relegation is not only inevitable but deserved.

Now Newcastle going down unquestionably suits West Ham, it is hard to imagine Hull or Miserableborough posing any sort of threat next season, but even with Shearer in charge and a bet riding on it, I can't say I really want it to happen. I hate Leeds but I don't want them in the old Third Division. I loath Roeder, but I didn't want Norwich to go down this season. As rubbish as Newcastle are and as much as I detest Shearer and this whole Geordie Messiah crap, I don't want the Newcastle fans to suffer the indignity of relegation. Why? In part because I have a sense of tradition. Newcastle belong in the top division. But I also have very fond memories of our 8-1 victory over the Geordies and of hearing the Toon Army chanting "We want ten!" in a wonderfully self deprecating way. Fans like that deserve a break!

Miserableborough come to Upton Park on the last day of the season. It may well be that Newcastle's destiny will lie in our hands. Cole should be back, so should a fully tuned Collison, ready to start. All is not lost - yet. But a defeat in the North East derby could put the Geordies beyond even Zola's salvation!

15 comments:

Anonymous said...

Collison played yesterday, keep up lol

englandsnumber6 said...

What game were you you watching? Collison did not play. I dont want the geordies to go down because its a great away day and a good piss up.

Anonymous said...

Jack Collison played yesterday, he came on as a sub in the second half for WESTHAM UNITED, keep up

Anonymous said...

& it`s a crap away day, they sit you just above the clouds, I hate it there.
So in summary, Jack Collison played as a second half sub & Newcastle away isn`t a very good away day, IMO. :)

Anonymous said...

But that doesn`t mean I want them to go down, because I don`t, I think they belong in the Premiership

Hammersfan said...

2205, I meant as a fully tuned starter!

Anonymous said...

Then say that, & tell Mr Six, he seems to have missed him entirely!!! lol
COYCollisonIrons

Hammersfan said...

He wasn't on for long to be fair!

Hammersfan said...

And 2259, I did. Check for yourself! LOL

Anonymous said...

Do you sit on the computer all day you sad sad plastic West Ham supporter.

Denbighammer said...

Sorry but I hope they go down because they absolutely deserve it and because their fans are without doubt the most deluded bunch of halfwits in football. I'm sure half of them don't even bother trying to get a job, in case they have to rush down to St.James' Park to arse about for the SKY cameras and acclaim the latest return of the latest messiah. Keegan/Shearer/Robson delete as applicable. They won't go down though, WBA, Boro and Hull will. Shame.

Hammersfan said...

I'm not sure about that Den. There was no fight at Liverpool and they couldn't beat a very ordinary Pompey in the game before. I can see Boro beating them next week.

Anonymous said...

I wonder if you would dare repeat that in Newcastle you half wit. What sort of name is Denbighammer anyway. Remember this, he's only a poor little Hammer, he can for a fight so we set him alight and now he don't come anymore.

Hammersfan said...

1116, bit of a sad reply. Still, at least it shows a spark of passion inside the Geordies. Not enough to set the Premiership alight admittedly but...Many more responses like that and I will start cheering on Miserableboro!

Denbighammer said...

Lol! Anon 11:16, as a non-believing infidel I'm sure one day the messiah will strike me down! Which one will it be? Keegan? Andy Cole? Shearer? Peter Beardsley? Bobby Robson? You lot have got more Gods than the ancient Greeks!