Friday 1 May 2009

Thanks for the Mattyemories


I hope the guy has a mare tomorrow but I would like to take this opportunity to thank Etherington for his efforts whilst at the club. I know he had his problems, with many of them centred on a gambling addiction, but most of my memories of Matty are fond ones.

In total, Etherington started 177 games for us, coming on another 18 times as a substitute. I think we always knew that he was just that little bit short of true Premiership class, lacking that half a yard of pace to discomfort the best right backs, but I, for one, was desperate for him to succeed, if only to prove Tottenham wrong. Had we won that Cup Final, with Sherringham, Etherington, Konchesky and Zamora playing a part, we could have rammed those feeder team taunts well and truly down the Cockyfools' throats.

We will all have different memories of Etherington but his greatest single moment was unquestionably when he crashed home that beauty against Ipswich in that play off semifinal. Of course, Matty managed two in the two semifinals against Ipswich, proving his ability to deliver in pressure games. And remember, Ashton's goal in The Final followed an Etherington shot which Reinna spilled.

His best performance? For me, it was in the 3-0 victory away to Reading, when he bagged two goals. Coppell referred to our counter attacking as "breathtaking" after the game, and Etherington was the hub of that performance. And for a while, after the arrival of Zola, it looked as if Matty was going to be a key player in the new era but sadly, after flattering to deceive, Etherington slipped out of the manager's plans.

During Pardew's glorious first season in the Prem, Etherington looked the dog's danglers but sadly, like others, he suffered from second season syndrome once opposing defenders got his measure. He remains a good squad player and he would have been very useful following the injury to Collison. Etherington or Boa-Morte? No contest in my opinion, I would have Matty every time!

I wish Matty well but I hope he has his money on a Stoke victory tomorrow - that, more than anything else, would guarantee us the three points!

13 comments:

Anonymous said...

Dont surpose you are gonna be at the game are you hammersfan????. YOU NEVER ARE YOU AINT A REAL FAN. IN FACT YOU AINT EVEN A HAMMERS FAN

Denbighammer said...

I've got a lot of time for Ethers but I wouldn't be so fulsome in my praise. His appearance tally is mainy due to him being around during the 'Coca-Cola Years'. If we had been Premiership the whole time, he would have been the bit part player he became at the end. You point out his lack of pace but I thought his main problem was his total lack of tricks, hardly ideal for a winger. Stoke use him correctly, playing him high up the pitch, giving him the ball and letting him whip it in early for their big strikers. I agree he is better than Boa Morte, particularly if you compare the two pound for pound. Etheringtons gambling is a shame but it affected his focus and there were times when he bottled tackles and he hid when times were really tough IMO. Crap as he maybe, Boa has never shied away from a tackle and never hides, despite the awful clog he gets off the crowd. In summary of Ethers, decent player, could have been better, not really to my taste but I understand his appeal I guess.

Hammersfan said...

Den, I think Ethers could have filled two roles - in home games, against weaker teams, he could, as you say, be played high up the pitch, whipping in the crosses. However, I saw him pick some beautiful passes from a centre midfield position sometimes. I think Zola saw this potential and flirted with the idea of using him as a playmaker, thus the move inside. Unhappily, Matty then "disappeared" from the team with rumours that he had started gambling again, though the club claimed it was an injury. There are rumours that Fulham want him and I would back Woy to develop him into an effective player if he went there.

Hammersfan said...

Den, how about submitting an article? You have a keener memory than me for the 1990's - the 70's & 80's were my golden era, kids and work consumed the 90s for me and football memories are hazy. How about an assessment of the Redknapp years?

Denbighammer said...

I'll get my thinking cap on, see what I come up with.

lbmisgod said...

Hes welsh. what wud he no about rednapp?

Hammersfan said...

LOL He knows how to spell English better than you! That is a Fanno handle you cheeky bugger!

Denbighammer said...

Who says I'm Welsh? They do allow foreigners to live in Wales.

Denbighammer said...

Who says I'm Welsh? They do allow foreigners to live in Wales.

Anonymous said...

The only foreigners that fit in there are low life wankers like you .

Hammersfan said...

The usual witty and sophisticated response. Not. Keep up Borat!

el Martillo said...
This comment has been removed by a blog administrator.
Hammersfan said...

To El Martillo and Den, apologies. This cowardly anonymous is a pillock of the highest order!