Friday 24 July 2009

Ashton Exit Moves Closer


Now before I start, I will say that I take no pleasure from this whatsoever. I know I have been knocking the guy for the best part of a year now and have coined the nicknames Beano and Primadeano for Ashton, but secretly I hoped he would return and stuff my taunts down my throat. Sadly, that is not going to happen - and perhaps when the inevitable happens, a few of my knockers on here might have the good grace to come on and apologise.

In fact, nearly two years ago now I expressed reservations about Beano's attitude. Yes he was unlucky with the injury but when he returned, he was patently overweight and showed no desire to mix it out on the pitch. It was as if the guy was made out of porcelain, the way he pulled out of challenges and fell to the floor at the merest hint of physical contact. He gave an interview to The Sun in which he talked about his personal fitness regime and the way he expected his kit to be laid out for him in the changing room before a game or training. He came across as an arrogant sod who was a legend in his own mind. I posted a critical thread on the org at the time and received no end of stick but I think I had hit the nail on the head personally.

Now we read that Zola is unhappy with Ashton's lack of fitness after the summer break. The inference I take is that, unlike Dixon and Parker, Ashton has been lazing the summer away rather than working on his fitness and conditioning. He has his own personal fitness advisor of course which makes it difficult for Zola and his team to control what is going on. One thing is for sure, Zola is not impressed and I think that means Ashton's days are numbered, despite Duxbury's bullshit.

This saga has gone on for too long. Ashton has tons of potential but sadly that potential has gone to his head, his waistband and his arse. He is far too precious and is becoming a liability to morale in the dressing room. How pig sick would Cole feel if Ashton were allowed back in to replace him now? And say what you like about Cole, he seems to have lots of mates in the dressing room who would feel equally aggrieved. If Stoke genuinely are prepared to gamble on Beano's fitness and attitude, I would offload him - sooner rather than later.

But can Stoke really afford to pay £70k a week in wages plus Primadeano's BUPA bills?

14 comments:

Deane said...

It is a pity the man could have been a legend if he didn't believe he already was one!

Westieboy said...

I agree with everything you have said and that is from someone who rated this guy big time. He had everything a striker needed and I hadn't seen a striker of his mold since Shearer. Technically a superb striker on his day and a definite international.

As much as I hate to say it, his time is up. Even I, have lost patience with him. Zola has been around the game at the highest level and is a shrewd Sicilian and if he says enough is enough, then I would back him 100%. I don't think Clarke suffers fools either and I reckon is also a canny judge of a player.
But I wonder if the bankers (yes, the bankers) in charge like the idea of paying a man (a reputed £70k/week)for lying on the treatment table and being unprofessionally unfit for preseason? I doubt it.

We need two strikers and a back up left back and were sorted I reckon. Oh, and unload the beano.

Hammersfan said...

What about a right back Westie? Why do we keep getting linked with midfielders and centre backs by the way? They appear to be our strongest positions!

Hammersfan said...

To the unfotunate anonymous who posted the abusive anti semitic comment, grow up. I will not publish filth like that so why do you bother? I have a Jewish great grandparent by the way, but no I am not Jewish.

Matt B said...

You really are a sad individual. how can you call yourself West Ham with all the negative crap you come out with. All you do is take what the Daily Mirror prints and turn it into something. your post regarding Nigel Quashie was mis-informed, but if it was in the Daily Mirror, it must have been true. Were you not aware that Zola asked Nigel Quashie what he wanted to do prior to the Austrian trip? Guess not? Carry on with your crap, just dont claim to be West Ham. Maybe one day we could meet up before a game, if you ever actully go, and i'll show you what a true supporter is??

Anonymous said...

All these "reports" are pure media crap and should be treated as such. Think I`ll start one about Sir Trev coming out of retirement there`s bound to be a few idiots who will believe it.....and report on it.

Matt B said...

Guess you dont publish negative comments about you?? Shame you have to publish negative posts about West Ham all the time!!

Westieboy said...

Hammersfan, I think the right back slot is one that we can get away with but not left back. Ww have Spector, Gabbidon and Behrami that can play in that position and whatever people say about Spector, given a run in the side he might just do himself justice. I did like the look of Fanni (oh yes) but I guess financially we have bigger fish to fry (geddit) seriously.
As for strikers, I believe we need a quick fox in the box type who can feed off of Cole's play and Eidur would be a very good acquisition, who is clever and would complement our type of play perfectly.

Matt B said...

Think I`ll start one about Sir Trev coming out of retirement there`s bound to be a few idiots who will believe it.....and report on it.

Are you not one of those idiots?

Hammersfan said...

Matt, I am not on here 24.7 so it sometimes takes a while for me to see the comments and publish them. In a hotel in Syracuse at moment with rain lashing down, otherwise unlikely I would have seen this before tomorrow.

Yes I am aware what Quashie said. The choice, as I understood it, was to put himself in the shop window with the kids or not play at all. That's why Davenport is turning out against non league opposition too. Says a lot for their quality that we still conceded two today! How will you show me what a true fan is if we meet? Show me your Bulldog Tats perhaps? I know what a true fan is already thank you very much. They do take various forms. Some go a long way towards proving Darwin's theory correct!

Stig said...

Why don't we put him out on loan to Sheffield United and let him work it off in the championship.

Edz said...

Lets sell Ashton, he's too fragile and looks like he would suit the Tottenham team, which means i don't like him! lol. My only worry is, if he is injured again who on earth is stupid enough to buy him, part from Hull who brought in bullard.

As for a Left-back i think we should gamble on a youngster like grasser as replacement, we can't go spending money on a replacement left-back who will only get around 3 games given Ilungas remarkable fitness. Savio could be regarded as a striker and Nouble and Dixon should be also regarded as first team players. Spence, N'gala and Montano i would like to see make the first team this season, but who knows.

Beggars Where Blown said...

Hammersfan, first off nice to see the superstition was unfounded and the flight went okay ;)

I'll lay my cards down and state that that I was/am a big fan of Ashton and sincerely wish that he would get back to the striker we all hoped he would be.... maybe recent events have coloured my perspective but I must confess to being quite unsettled by the latest round of rumours about Deano.

If he goes I would be severely disappointed in a) his attitude - talk of him wanting out for a while (medical grievances not withstanding) and b) Duxbury's potential backtracking/buck passing as I think on his day he could have been something special for us.

It is only fair, given my stance on some of your posts, that I should come here fork in hand if this prediction is true...

Hope the weather improves.

Hammersfan said...

LOL Hacked it down today! Fortunately driving whilst the heavens opened. I hope your hopes for Ashton are yet realised. I would much rather be wrong on this one but...