Sunday 10 January 2010

Franco Injury Heightens Striker Crisis


Well, we had a warning ahead of the Pompey game with, what turned out to be false rumours that the 33 year old South American was injured. Then we saw the consequences of Franco being ruled out when we took on Arsenal. Nouble tried hard but the lad isn't ready for the Premiership yet and when Sears came on, he was typically anonymous as a striker. The danger is that Cole will now be rushed back too quickly and will break down in consequence.

So, the need for new strikers becomes urgent. There are rumours that Ferguson fancies Behrami - might Zola be tempted to sell in order to release cash desperately needed to buy a forward? Sights seemed to have been lowered to more realistic levels recently. I understand the reservations about Harewood but he must be a better option than Sears or Jimenez surely? And the likes of Toni and Chamkh were never going to join us were they?

No news on the take over front and a crucial sequence of games looms. God help us if we go into those matches without a proven forward.

9 comments:

hammalot said...

Think its finally time for Zola to get his kit back on!

In all seriousness, I think we will get a new owner first and then a striker. Hopefully that happens this window and not too late!

Franco has been a damn good free transfer tho. Theres got to be another out there somewhere.

Stani Army said...

I think the postponement of the Wolves game was not such a good thing. We had a chance of beating Wolves without Franco and getting those 3 vital points. Our next game, away to Villa, is looking increasingly like a loss now, denting our confidence even more.

Hammersfan said...

I disagree Stani. I would much rather play Wolves with Cole in the team than without him, and extra recovery time for Noble and Parker won't hurt either. Just imagine if we were bought early next week and were able to strengthen the squad. If I was a Wolves fan, I would feel cheated if that happened!

Stani Army said...

It's a big 'if' though HF. Plus, who's to say our problems won't get worse...and let's not forget Wolves can strengthen too of course.

By the way, Noble can take as much recovery time as he likes :)

T.I.S said...

I actually think it is time for
Noble to start playing again. With a midfield of Parker, Behrami and Noble we will have grit, unlike our stadium. From now on I will be naming our manager 'Gorgonzola'.

Stani Army said...

T.I.S
I've always felt it was time Noble start playing :)

Dave D said...

Just a idea,

What about Behrami at right back?

I thought when we signed him he at played at right back in italy.
but I maybe wrong on this.

I know all of his strenghts in the middle of the park, but i think we could cover that.

any thoughts?

T.I.S said...

But where would that put Faubert lol

Stani Army said...

...right wing T.I.S, at Madrid! Just kidding. Faubert's not doing that bad recently.

Dave, it is a possibility but I think we'd be losing too much in midfield. The midfield is probably the hardest place to play and we need our best player there. Ideally, if we had two Behramis, it would be nice....as I'm sure many of the female fans would agree.