Thursday 6 May 2010

Liverpool Fans Scoffed But What Did I Say In August?


Another in a little series where I look at how accurate I was with my predictions. I forecast our struggles as we know, but how about this, posted on August 25th 2009. Take in that final paragraph folks.

So, this is what I said back in August!


I said it after the first game of the season, this Liverpool team is on the wane. The loss of Alonso was bigger than most people realised and the failure to use the relatively little money they had in the summer to buy either a striker or a creative midfielder was a huge mistake by Benitez. I said that the £17m paid for Johnson was absurd and I stand by that. Yes he is a talent going forward on the right hand flank but defensively he can be a liability.

At the moment Gerrard has to be in two places at once and, as good as he is, he isn't the superhuman that Liverpool now need him to be. Playing on the shoulder of Torres, he cannot supply the killer balls from midfield that Alonso used to deliver; playing as the playmaker, he cannot poach the goals in and around the box.

The club's finances are now biting their title ambitions in the bollocks, just as this blog predicted. How much was Alonso sold for? Yet despite that, Benitez was reduced to bargain basement shopping to sign a back up centre back; Upson, it seems, was beyond the club's means.

But the fact that Rafa Don Quixote Benitez sees a centre back as his priority amazes me. Tell me, how are Liverpool going to win games if Gerrard and Torres get injured? Two defeats already, and the tilt at the title is over before it has even started.

Well there's always the consolation of winning the Champions League I suppose. This Liverpool team? Against Real Madrid or Barcelona? No chance! If Carlsberg did football teams, Liverpool would still have Alonso.

This could be the year of change as I said last week. Arsenal are vulnerable once the weather turns colder, the Mancs aren't what they were and Liverpool's underbelly has already been exposed. The door to the top 4 party is open for the likes of Tottenham and Man City and I fully expect one or both to gatecrash this season. If that happens, watch the chaos that will ensue at the club that misses out!

In Comments, Anonymous said...
Rubbish article. Amazing the tripe that you get on the Internet nowdays.

13 comments:

Anonymous said...

Jesus.....You love the sound of your own voice don't you. I bet yuo spend most nights trying to give yourself head.

Hammersfan said...

Why on earth would I do that? If that's what turns you on mate, get a boyfriend and you can blow each other's trumpet! Me, I'll content myself with having sounded Liverpool's "Last Post" as long ago as August 25th, predicting, whilst I was about it, that Tottenham and Man City would be the two fighting to replace them in the top 4. Galling I know, but how right was I?

C21 said...

when you're right you're right...but if you really want to impress tell me when the yanks will ride off into the sunset?

Anonymous said...

Well, you are definitely right. We're you right about your own team being complete shit as well?

Hammersfan said...

I predicted our pile of shite would struggle against relegation, yes.

When will the Yanks ride off into the sunset? Depends on the banking crisis perhaps? Who would want to buy Liverpool now you are out of the CL? Gerrard leaving now isn't he? Something to do with the number 16 apparently?

Unknown said...

all you need to know about liverpool folks ... right here

LFC chairman must deal with those causing the damage

Posted on May 6th, 2010 by Anfield Road
By Tom Wilson and Jim Boardman

http://www.anfieldroad.com/news/201005063612/lfc-chairman-must-deal-with-damage.html/


give yourself a minute and check it out

Hammersfan said...

More blind Rafa support mate!

Shaun said...

Ay, Ay, Caaalm down, Caaalm down! Personally...I'd much rather talk about West Ham than eerrmmm..'them'!
HF...are you sure you weren't a French apothecary in a past life?! Your 'quatrains' may appear to ring true, but the dead giveaway is...they don't rhyme! Which leads me to the conclusion that you're more of a Mystic Meg than a Nostradamus...and anyone knows an upturned empty goldfish bowl is no substitute for crystal balls!

Oh...I nearly forgot...have you forseen tonight's Euromillions numbers by any chance?!

Hammersfan said...

No, I'm not pretending to be Nostradamus Shaun, I'm saying that I have read events pretty well. I'm not claiming to be able to see into the future, I'm claiming to be able to interpret the present and extrapolate out from that. At the moment, I have no idea what will happen next season, but by the end of July, I'll be able to tell you what sort of season we will have; and I will do so honestly.

Anonymous said...

The ego has landed.
What an embarassing and unendearinig read.

Word Smith said...

Anon 09:46 , ...bit of an own goal to use the word 'embarassing' spelt incorrectly?! 2 r's as well as 2 s's I think you'll find! ...and if 'unendearinig' is meant to read 'unendearing'...then you're on a hat-trick, as there's no such word!
Thought you might have jumped on that before me HF?!

Anonymous said...

Get a life WordSmith you saddo.

The Bile Detector said...

Sounds like a direct hit on target, Wordsmith.

Always satisfying to bug the shit out of scumbags.