Saturday 25 September 2010

Match of the Day Televised Another Game!

Funny, I thought we dominated the game but the MOTD edit suggested that Tottenham had the lion's share of the match. We get to Shearer's analysis and see bits of the game that weren't even shown in match play!

What happened to the first 20 minutes when Tottenham couldn't get hold of the ball? Ended up on the floor of the editing room clearly. What happened to Cole's shot and Upson's header and Da Costa's header? Like the Mission Impossible tape, they self destructed! What happened to the "Oles" as we passed the ball around Spurs players as if they were bollards? Not worthy of showing clearly.

I don't hold with this crap about the media having it in for West Ham but the "highlights" of today's game were absurdly unrepresentative. Thank God I saw it with my own eyes, otherwise I would be going to bed thinking we were lucky to win!

It was all about who Tottenham were missing at the back according to Lineker and Shearer as if King and Woodgate turn out every game for Spurs normally! Hutton, Bassong, Corluka and Bale are all internationals of course and if Cudicini had elected to, he would have played for England. In front of them were Huddlestone, Jenas, Modric, Lennon and Van Der Vaart, all of whom have represented their countries, as have Crouch and the subs, Keane, Dos Santos and Pavlova. The whole point about Tottenham is that they have tremendous strength in depth so to highlight who wasn't playing is missing the point completely.

I didn't hear any mention of Hitzlespurger, the captain of the German national team in August, being missing from our ranks, nor any reference to Behrami being ruled out, nor talk of how Collison and Hines are on our long term injury list, nor how our reserve keeper is out for the season, nor how McCarthy is too fat to play, nor how we were disrupted by the injury to Dyer! In fact, if Shearer has the audacity to mention Woodgate, then we can still claim Ashton!

We beat Tottenham fair and square today, dominating possession. Yes Green made a great save but so did Cudicini! Obinna was superb second half but I barely saw him in the MOTD edit. Apart from his shot, I don't think I heard Noble's name mentioned and Da Costa only featured when his header was deflected wide. NOTHING about his defensive qualities! And did you hear Parker's name mentioned apart from how he nearly joined Tottenham? MOTD viewers will be left wondering if he played after the first minute!

Absurd! Much more of this and I will have to admit that Fareham Hammer was right!

9 comments:

Anonymous said...

I didn't even get to see the game and their footage confused me. Having read bloggers on both sides I was convinced that we, for the most part, ran the show. Motd rarely give us fair merit. All the more annoying to us armchair fans who cling to the whiff of a well televised Saturday night thrashing.

And then motd.

Sav said...

My son who watched MotD with me tonight thought I was having him on when I told him that we have dominated the match and that we had the best chances. This is typical of MotD. And they say we pay a tv license for the BBC in order to have impartial/objective television. What bulls***t!

Hammersfan said...

My son was at work during the game and was so excited about seeing MOTD. He was hugely disappointed by what he saw.

Anonymous said...

have to agree with you all.

Anonymous said...

Fareham was right then eh HF?

Anonymous said...

I shtere anyway a petition could be set up to send to the bbc? something muct be able to be done. I am sure i have read somewhere that stoke fans feel it has happened to them as well. I had noticed that motd do this alot and have been for years but tonights was particulary bad. I was watching it with my missus most of the time with my jaw on the floor as i couldnt beleive what they were doing. I think they should show less chances and more opaases if that makes sense so people get a truer reflection of things. How many other teams do they do this too????

Petition or some kind of action, anyone?

AppyAmmer

Anonymous said...

Football First on Sky gave a far better account of the game.

Hammersfan said...

0335, try reading through to the end of the article!

Appy, I think MOTD is on its last legs in the pressent format and I think the BBC know that. It is tired and stale and has been for two years now. They are actually trying to do too much in my opinion. They should show two games - not always Chelsea and Man Utd - and just the goals from the others. Then extended highlights of all the other games should be available on the net or via the red button.

UKIT said...

Match of the Day is dead!

It's irrelevant and so lightweight I don't know how Lineker and Shearer have the balls to be associated with it.

It only survives because they are the only "free to air" channel showing premier league football.

In the theme of the Dead Kennedys track, MOTD get off the air!