Sunday 3 April 2011

Well done to Carlisle!


Many moons ago, I saw Carlisle lose 2-0 to QPR in the top division and, if I remember rightly, they went into the game at the top of the table. I think Balderstone, the cricketer, was in the Carlisle team but I may be wrong. Do any Cumbrians know the side that went into battle that day?

Since then there have been more bad times than good for The Cumbrians but they claimed glory in the Johnstone's Paint Trophy at Wembley today.

I'm just wondering if they selected Red Ochre, Terracotta or Midsummer Blue when they picked up the tin at the end of the game!

6 comments:

Anonymous said...

God you are so stuck in 70's, I used to work for Johnstone's and your palette in bang on for the era. Which I think is rather sad.

Hammersfan said...

Well you have to go back to the 7s for that game! 75 perhaps? I was in London to see Pink Floyd at Wembley. Shine On You Crazy Diamond tour, and complete performance of Dark Side of the Moon. Fabulous! Or was I up there to see Bowie at Earls Court? Great days.

Mallubear said...

HF, relax man and have a cigar!
:)

Stani Army said...

He's already drinking and gambling Mallu...you want him to smoke too? You trying to kill him?

Essexhammer said...

WESTHAM bought BILL GREEN from CARLISLE ,a central defender,in June 1976 for £75,000.Did't make much of an impact at WESTHAM,made only 35 appearances scoring 1 goal.
Do you remember him HF?

Hammersfan said...

I do mate, one in a line of very ordinary centre backs. I'd put Green in the same bracket as Hilton & Strodder, players who belonged in lower divisions. Hilton was known as "donkey" because of his male appendage, Strodder as "Cnut" because of the way he played. Oldham in the League Cup anybody? 0-6. Oh the humiliation!