Thursday 5 May 2011

Holloway or Warnock? Do me a favour!

So, by the end of this season, what will Holloway and Warnock have in common? Both would have managed teams to relegation from the Premiership; just like Grant when we appointed him. So why, if we stay up, would we appoint either of them?

Yes, if we go down, I can see sense in appointing Warnock. He would bully us to promotion. But you'd want to get rid pretty quickly afterwards, as it seems QPR may be considering doing.

Talking about our next manager at this stage is stupid because who you go for hinges entirely on whether or not we survive. If we stay up, assuming Grant is jettisoned, then O'Neill would have to be the ideal man, given Jose would be unlikely to join.

And if we go down? Warnock would be my choice I admit because I've had my fill of principles and values! And as for Ollie, I spent my formative years in Zumerset and was bullied by teachers for my Cockney accent whilst all the turnips in the class whined, "Oi don't know about that laaaattttt". The idea of one of those turnips managing our club fills me with horror. At least Turds arrived in a brown Volvo towing a caravan, Ollie would drive down Green Street in his brand new bleedin' combine 'arverster. Ooo arrrh!

11 comments:

Anonymous said...

Aaaah It's starting to make sense - the formative are the most important years and bullying at that age can have a very serious and long term effect. You poor man my heart bleeds for you.

US HF said...

Oneil if we stay up. Houghton if we go down. Houghton is a hammer why not appoint someone who follows the club and an manage.

I love the oneil idea but its a stretch. I think he would clash far too much with the Brady bunch. Good manager an like any good manager he needs control. Something the owners haven't figured out.

Anonymous said...

The difference is HF, it was bloody remarkable for Holloway to even get them promoted in the first place! Let alone be outside the bottom 3 with 3 games to go! Whereas Grant is almost getting relegated with a midtable squad. Also, Warnock is better than half the managers in the Premier league.

Norwegian Hammer said...

Hi! I've been reading your blog for a while now, and i'm really enjoying it, even though I don't always agree with you.

Now that we are on the brink of relegation I would like to share some of my thoughts as to what should happen if we go down. Grant will have to go anyways, obviously. If we go down we will also lose a bunch of players. I think defineatly Hitz, Parker and Upson will go. Hitz and Parker are way too good for the Championship, and Upson is a good back-up for many Prem clubs. Apart from them we might also lose Green, Piq and/or Cole. Hopefully Ba won't leave, since he joined in January.

If we should go down, I think we should try to build up a new team around the good young players we already have. Mainly Tomkins, Noble and Sears. The Championship may also be an oppourtunity for players like Hines and Stanislas to evolve quickly. I think it also will be a way for Spence to make his way into the starting 11. Barrera might also relish the oppourtunity to play against weaker opposition, and maybe adapt more to the English football. If we build a team around the youngsters + get in some decent defenders, I think we will get promoted again right away, and I also believe we will have a stronger Prem side the following year.

Hopefully we don't have to worry about this though. It is still possible to stay in the Prem. Nine points will defineatly keep us up, and we might also make it with seven. If we do stay up, it is vital that we strenghten our back four.

Keep up the good work with the site!

Chunky said...

Agree with US HF on this one. Hughton all the way if we go down. He has recent experience with taking the Championship by storm. Im sure he would get us back up if offered a 2 year contract.

If we stay up i have serious doubts that MON would come after the January fiasco. GS&B showed their incompetance and he probably now sees that drama as a lucky escape.

Bring back Pards!

Sav said...

HF, I am flying to London tonight for a few days. Any chance to get tickets for tomorrow's match? If so, where should I look for them?

Thanks

Nigerian Hammer said...

Sav don't expect a reply.... he's just not in to you. Plus he doesn't go to any games himself so has no contacts.

Hammersfan said...

So Nigerian, you can help Sav presumably.

There's always touts outside the tube Sav, beyond that I can't help I'm afraid.

Nigerian Hammer said...

Sav isn't a regular contributor to my blog, I have no reason to help him. You however could at least have had the decency to reply to his message of some 20+ hours ago.

Sav said...

Thanks for the reply Nigerian Hammer. I knew it was a wildshot, but I had to try it before leaving for the airport. AG has done it again apparrently. Gabbi and Spector in the team again! We are playing with nine men!

Anonymous said...

Sav, I'm afraid we played with even less..........