Thursday 21 July 2011

Reduction of substitutes is ridiculously short sighted

Only in football could such an absurd decision be reached as this. The N Power football league clubs have got together and decided that, to save money, they will reduce the number of subs allowed from seven to five.

Tell me, how does that save money exactly? The rule applies to the MAXIMUM number of subs you can name, nobody holds a gun to a club's head and says they must name all seven. Indeed, Pompey went into some Prem games with only three or four players on the bench.

What this absurd rule change will do is restrict the opportunities for young players to come through. With 7 subs allowed, you can name 5 experienced players and two kids, and, if the game situation allows, blood youngsters for 15 minutes over a few games before pitching them in at the deep end. Now those opportunities will be denied the youngsters. Stupid. Just plain stupid.

Who gains from this rule change exactly?

5 comments:

Michael said...

Totally valid article. It's disgusting that they let this happen. In no way is 5 subs better than 7. There isn't one valid argument to say otherwise

Johntan said...

What a load of bloody idiots. They have obviously thought about this decision for about 5 minutes before making it a rule. This is just one of a number of problems in the English game though atm, bloody idiots given too much responsibility.

Saltbush Bill said...

Sorry - off topic.

However, is it me? Hold on, I'll check ………… , yep; it sure is. Hmmmm! That was good, I'll have to go off and do it again - for longer.

Let me put it this way, if 'lbmisgod', then, even though I'm not a teacher, I can still show you where to put your colon. One of the funniest exchanges I remember.

I'm doin' fine thanks.

Hammersfan said...

Good to hear and to have you looking in again.

Mike said...

I agree with you completly on this. What a silly idea to push through. I thought it was one of the best moves the FA made when they increased it to seven in the first place.