Monday 6 February 2012

A new Faubert or a brilliant blip in a career of mediocrity?

He arrived labelled the TGV but was derailed by injury in no time and his career hit the buffers. Zola came up with the wizard wheeze of playing him as a right back and Grant couldn't understand it was a joke and persisted with the folly.

Then along came Sam with 4-3-3 and Faubert played as an advanced midfielder. But the guy looked hopeless: no pace, no anticipation, no final ball, no composure in front of goal. Right back, right wing, both amounted to the same thing: less Faubert, more Faux Pas.

And then along came Millwall!

God knows what they put in his tea before the game, but whatever it was, I want some! Faubert played like a man possessed, up and down the right flank, breaking forward, tracking back, and even bursting into the box. True he missed a goodish chance and failed to throw himself in where it hurts to connect with a first half cross, but let's not quibble - this was a new, animated, inspired model, this was a new Faubert.

People are asking if this was his best game of the season. Stupid question! This was the best game of his career and he so nearly capped it all with a goal, a delicious header rebounding off the bar. Much more of this and Real Madrid will want him back again!

I have been a vociferous critic of Faubert, so it's only fair that I pay tribute now. Will he keep it up? Has the frog turned into a handsome prince? Let's see!

11 comments:

Anonymous said...

He has been absolutely atrocious for 90% of his west ham career but I've always thought he might come good one day. I reckon he'll be a better performer from now on, after his blinder against wall.

Anonymous said...

Completely Agree, I thought he was outstanding. Work rate was second to none. What he lacks in ability he definitely made up for in effort (In that game anyway) Maybe with competition for places everyone will start upping their game now. With the exception of Kevin Nolan who despite below par performances will always be picked.

Well done Faubert . keep it up.

Anonymous said...

If Julien was to compile a spreadsheet of the highest earners at the club, it would be called Faub's List. Just had to put that out there.

Mike said...

I'll admit that for me, Faubert was one of those players I wanted to do well. It was a real shame to see him constantly overlooked for the right mid position, and certainly it looked like it was curtains when Barrera and O'Neil turned up.

But, credit where credit is due, I thought that Faubert has played well on a few occasions this season when played on the right. Strikes me as a confidence player too. So where else before he was making noise about leaving, I think what we have here is a player finding his confidence, as well as having a manager with confidence in him. Powerful remedies for a player with quality that has been missing that 'get up and go'.

Of course now I've said all that, he'll have an absolute shitter at the weekend :p

Anonymous said...

Anony-mouse says

Julien has his best game for us, and you use it as an opportunity to rake up how crap he has been for the majority of his time with us.

He should have played crap agaimst Millwall. You'd have left him alone then.

AJ said...

06:54 you are unfair - how dare you criticise a perfectly good opportunity for HF to slag one of our players under the pretence that he's actually praising them. It's his blog and it's what gives him the greatest pleasure.

Let the man have his enjoyment, even if you think it is twisted, warped and ultimately sick.

It's what he does best and we just have to get used to it, because he sure as hell ain't ever going to change.

Anonymous said...

Here cock - have a butchers at this... proper football writing - and not the guff you come out with, makes you weep don't it?

http://www.footballcourier.com/news/story/849519/the-worst-case-scenario/full_story.html

Anonymous said...

Anony-mouse says

AJ you're right and I know you are. But, you'll have to forgive me on this as I was just hoping against hope that HF could change and that he could start praising and supporting the team rather than running it down.

I hoped against hope that he might just stop looking for new angles on every little thing and stop constantly doing down the team that he says he supports.

I admit I was naive in hoping for these things and am just glad we are top of the league, cos I hate to think what levels of curmudgeonly, nit-picking miserableness he could reach if we weren't where we are.

Mind you as he seems upset when we win games maybe it'd cheer him up if we were mid-table. But what kind of fan would want that, eh?

John J - Ripon said...

It was his best game, but I think he's been much improved this season. I'm hoping he can do the same again at London Road on Saturday, as I've got tickets and away wins are so sweet.

THFCDAN said...

Thank you for Scott Parker -
I had my reservations about the man prior to signing him and I'm delighted to be wrong, he has been one of the most important signings we have made in the last 5 years.

The tackle he made on Micah Richards recently was absolutely text book and currently he is one of the very few players in the EPL with the balls and ability to make such tackles.

Why you let him go, to us and for such a trifling amount I'll never know.

Joe said...

You didn't approve my Faub's list comment, when you approve people calling you mentally ill?

Maybe you do have a mental health issue.